Monday, November 05, 2007

Snipped Gums, Expensive Medicine

I begged to delay the procedure for a year. So this year, I rounded up the courage to let my dentist aunt snip/cut my gums to let my last hiding wisdom tooth erupt. Half the wisdom tooth is already out, but the other half is blocked by my gums, so the gums have to give way for the tooth.

Despite the procedure being considered a "minor operation", it didn't hurt. I just heard the snipping of my gums but I didn't feel it. After the anaesthesia wore off, now that's when it hurt.

My aunt said I have to take Mefanamic Acid for a few days, 'til the pain subsides. Each 500g capsule costs Php 26.75. To be taken 4 times a day for about 3 days: 4 x 26.75 x 3=321 Okay. So there are more expensive medicines. But this is just a pain-reliever. The pain relief costs Php 0.074305 per second (Php26.75/ 6 hours/ 60 seconds). It's like campaign costs. You spend millions for your campaign, but it's really only Php 3 per Filipino.So maybe it's not that expensive.But relative to other medicines, this is expensive.To think that a Paracetamol/Loperamide really cures something, a pain reliever does not particulary cure something. Yet, the pain reliever is more expensive.

Maybe, I'm just being the
kuripot me. Or given my pay grade level, a pain reliever is really expensive for me.

4 comments:

thepockmarkman said...

Speaking of expensive meds, naalala ko tuloy yung nagkafungal infection ako. Yung gamot ko parang sulfur in a capsule. Once a day lang naman. Pero 105 pesos for 10 days.

melody maker said...

Mas mahal nga yan. Naisip ko tuloy, sana nanghingi na lang ako sa clinic. Pain-reliever lang naman.

Ros Padua-Macachor said...

Ahay. The concerns of new employees.

Anonymous said...

ate, ate, pengeng barya...