Saturday, August 15, 2009

Cheers for Credit Cards

I finally got my own personal credit card last year and whispered a prayer that I may use it wisely. So far, I am. Not to brag, but I haven't paid any penalty so far for late payments (okay, so maybe a little bragging). In fact, I just realized that I am spending less (really) when I got it. Not because of paranoia, but because it affected my budgeting habit.

See, for example, I budget my total weekly expenses to be Php 1,500 for food, transpo, entertainment, mini expenses. I allocate Php 500 of that for CC purchases. So I only withdraw Php 1,000 for my weekly cash. Then by Friday that week, I would realize that I haven't swiped my CC for the week, and there's still leftover from my Php 1,000. Then I would miraculously survive a weekend gimik with that leftover. Now there's that excess Php 500 budgeted left unspent. Around Php 300 unspent if I swipe for coffee. With that set-up, I was saving unconsciously.

A sign in Bench Trinoma:


Moreover, I've been swiping petty expenses lately. Swiping earns you points. I recently bought toothpaste and tissue paper amounting to Php 70+-ish and presented my CC - just to test if they would accept. Hoorah! They accepted it! I am more confident now in using my CC even for cheap purchases. Who cares anyway if they think I don't have the cash? Bwaharhar.

And the freebies are simply love. With BPI, you can enjoy a multitude of snacks from using your BPI CC. Jollibee, Chowking, Goldilocks and back to Jollibee again. I even save more money since my merienda is also free. I do hope I can continue my no-late-payment record til eternity. Teeeheeehee.

Shop! Spend! Wisely.

Cheers!

No comments: