Sunday, June 19, 2005

Fete de la Musique

150 bands, 8 stages, 1 event

And I almost missed it.

I didn't consider going because I have piano lessons every Saturday. But then, on Thursday evening, Sara invited me to come. My excuse was my piano lessons. I did some research Friday evening, and I saw the band line up. I cancelled my piano lessons. I am definitely going to Ortigas.

And we managed to invite some ever good friends along. Ahehehehehe... =P

I passed along El Pueblo and Podium every day during summer, on my way to Tektite. I was intrigued how were they going to fit 8 stages in that area, without closing the road.

Past 4pm. Bands were already performing in the Main-Alternative Stage. We briefly (and I mean really briefly) strolled around Podium. We were starving, deciding where to eat, deciding no restaurant in Podium fits our budgets. We got out of the posh mall, and went to the ever-beloved fast food restaurant - McDo. Dyan printed the gig guide and we marked the performances we wanted to watch. Great, Radioactive Sago Project was scheduled to perform around 2:30am. -_- At 11:00pm Imago (Rock), Wolfmann (Electronic) and Hale (Alternative) were all scheduled to perform. I wish I had Prue Haliwell’s power to move the body (what’s the name of that power?).

Past 5pm. We started touring the stages in El Pueblo. They were handing out gig guides, with the sked of performances. We decided to hang out at the Electronic Stage (it was right inside Pasto). We were bored with the performer but we decided to wait because the band of Kuya Ace (brother of best friend Sarah) was performing next - Bagetsofonix. Bravo! I enjoyed their performance. Ang daya, nasa Baguio si Sarah tapos andito si Kuya Ace.

Past 7:30pm. We went to Podium to see Familia Villavicencio, buy bottled water and use the toilets.

Past 8pm, we left to go back to the Reggae/World/Ska Stage to watch Cynthia Alexander’s performance. We saw a performance of Capoiera (martial arts from Brazil as Farley said). And luckily, we got an OK view of the reggae stage. Miss Cynthia Alexander’s talent is unparalleled.

We proceeded to the Rock Stage for the performance of Sandwich, Cambio, Imago etc. But then, the Rock Stage was…quiet. No band was performing, no band was setting up. Bummer. Later, we learned that they were waiting for additional security to control the crowd. We pushed, literally pushed our way inside Sidebar to watch Jazz stage. It was suffocating. Too bad, I wanted to hear more. So we went out.

As Lou said, di na mahulugang-karayom ang lugar. The venue was really packed. Rock Stage was still down. We resigned to going to the Alternative stage, at least there were bands performing there. By 10:30, I was exhausted. I said I was just going to wait for the FOPC concert of some other concert to watch Hale. We then heard that Hale was about to way. So Dyan and I pushed our way to get the closest view possible of the band. They just played 2 songs. And though Hale was more of a melodrama band, the Kurims started a moshpiting right beside us. Buwiset.

Past 11:30 pm, we left Ortigas. Maybe we could just watch the FOPC concert to see the other bands. Or just watch the UP Fair…. Ooops, that’s still in Feb next year.

Darn those Kurims for spoiling the event. But somehow, I can’t help but pity them.

Long long sleep….

Woke up at 2:30 pm today. My legs hurt.

Fete de la Musique next year? Maybe. But I definitely enjoyed the UP Fair concerts more although I have to P70 to get in. Kurims there are more…tamed.

Mabuhay and Musikang Pilipino.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

rawr. andaya. asa fete kayo >_< next year punta tayoooooo

melody maker said...

Next year, tao pa rin tayo! =P Yeah, maybe next year. Sana may mas magandang venue to accoomodate all the genres and bands. At wala na sanang mga kurims. :)

melody maker said...

Si Champ ay kamukha ni Atom Araulo. :D Bwaha, ngayon ko lang nabasa. :D