Sunday, November 28, 2010

Hair History

Pretty much all my life, I have this fizzy unruly curly hair. I had my hair straightened at the neighborhood parlor when I was in high school; but it lasted for a week - I kept on tying my hair so the straight-ness did not last long. I never tried permanently straightening it again. Even when cellophane was big in high school and rebonding was a huge hit during college, it did not interest me. I always had this feeling that my hair would turn out like a walis-tambo when straightened. Eeeeeek.

I decided to lose the bangs when I entered college but the ponytail stayed. there was not much to do with it so I had always had it trimmed in the neighborhood parlor - Php 50 back then, now 70. Then came the era of Reyes Haircutters where I could have a shampoo + haircut + blowdry for Php 50.

I decided to do something during my 4th year in college - I cut my hair short. I had long hair since the 4th grade so it was a serious decision. Since it was a big step, I decided I would do this right and I would have my hair cut in Ricky Reyes in SM North. The price of a haircut was steep for a student's budget - Php 180. I braved to go inside the salon and had my hair cut short. I planned to go back to the Reyes Haircutters when I had to trim it but my mom really liked my haircut - so she offered to sponsor my quarterly haircuts in Ricky Reyes.

The hairdressers/haircutters just love upselling stuff to me. They always suggest that I SHOULD color my hair and I SHOULD have my hair rebonded. Then they move to suggesting that I SHOULD let them trim my eyebrows. I never took any of their suggestions. First, it was an unnecessary expense. Second, I actually like my curly hair. The white streaked curly hair is a family trait that I actually like. So back off. There were times that I found their upselling so darn irritating and borderline rude that I start to ignore them and pray they don't do anything weird during the haircut.

I soon outgrew my short hair and returned to having a long hair in a ponytail when I started working.I decided to try out David's Salon with Sarah. I paid Php 295 for a haircut. It was okay - well, that's because you can't really do anything with my hair. When I changed employers, I learned that there were expensive haircuts *gulp*. You could say that some of my officemates had a taste for the salon of expensive haircuts and I was swayed to try some of them out.

I tried Regine's in The Link - Php 300. The salon was the most upscale I've been in so I felt so VIP during my two haircuts there. Cuts were nice but of course, my hair was blah as usual.

I decided to bring the bangs back and I wanted to do it big time. I saved up for a Tony and Guy haircut. The women's haircut of a senior stylist there costs a raging Php 750. Of course I did my research and learned that the customers still tip the hairstylist and the assistants (but I didn't do that because I am just kuripot). I printed out pics of haircuts with side-swept bangs and requested for such. But the hairstylist did not agree with me - he said my hair is not amendable with that type of hairstyle. I was given bangs of some kind but not the kind that I want. But *ding ding ding*, I liked the layered cut he did to my hair. My curls looked...soft yet still curled.

But I had not given up my desire to have bangs again. So I frequently read forums and learned about Piandre. I had my hair cut for Php 380 - still pricey but it was relatively inexpensive. Still no bangs. I decided to try out Park Jun - which cost Php 800/ haircut from a senior stylist. The stylist said that if he gives me bangs, i had to blow dry everyday. I lied and I said yes, I can do that. teeee heeee. He cut me side-swept bangs but it was still not the style I wanted. *sigh*

Yesterday, after five months of no haircut, I just felt the need to get my locks trimmed. I decided to go back to Tony & Guy but I opted for a junior hairstylist this time - Php 650/haircut. I reiterated my want for bangs - she said okay - but she did not do it. MEH. I kinda gave up on it on the end and I didn't bother reminding her. But I like the waves of my curls now.

Maybe there is this placebo effect ongoing when I get an expensive haircut. It provides this boost of self-confidence. I feel like my locks are more manageable and the curls are well-defined. I get compliments and I've been asked many times where I had my perm done. :P I feel like it moves more nicely. My sisters still tell me that is really no difference but I feel otherwise. Also, the upscale salons do not hardsell any of their services. All of them still offered to rebond my hair at the start. But when I decline, they leave it at that. No more pangungulit. It makes the salon experience more enjoyable.

Nope, I don't remember all the names of the hairdressers. But getting a haircut has become quite an adventure over the years. I just feel like writing about it tonight.

And I still love my white-hair streaked curly hair!

1 comment:

Mi said...

pics plz