Friday, May 20, 2005

Fire! Fire!

2:45pm. I was busy (Yes, I was busy) working on a report. Two of my co-interns - Mace and Yan - said they heard the fire alarm. Minutes later, Peter (our HR guy) announced that there was a fire drill. I heard the alarm, then I heard sirens. I thought maybe Peter was just saying that it was just a fire drill, but there is a real fire. Peter was asking us to go down, out of the building, using the stairs.

Chikka Asia Inc. resides on the 31st floor.


31st floor.

Chad and Roger - other co-interns - said that we should hide in the bathroom. In a way, was looking forward to going down the stairs. But they were dreading it. There was power failure earlier this week in the building and the elevators weren't working. So they went down using the stairs. I wasn't there. And now, they will have to do it all over again. Harharhar.

I thought would be easy going down the stairs since our movements will not be fighting gravity. Tsktsk. I was wrong. There is a big difference going down the five floors of Melchor Hall (the highest building I've climbed up and down using stairs), and going down the 31 floors of Tektite.

By the time we reached the 25th fllor, the task was already dragging. And still...25 floors to go! When we finally got down, Stock Exchange Road was filled with people... and firetrucks. It was an elaborate fire simulation. The fire fighters were actually...roping(?) down the building. It was a hot day. So... we went to Mini-Stop and ate ice cream. We bought that Selecta ice cream for P118 and ate it all up before going back to work. We got back at around 4pm.

My feet hurt. It is our company outing tomorrow in Bataan, and we had a fire drill. Hahahaha. I think all of us will have feet pains by tomorrow morning. So much for the planned company olypics. Hahahaha!

The disadvantage of working on the 31st floor. Tsk.

No comments: